Che mi manga?

Manga.

Mi manga: un po' di festa, un po' di intimità.

Tuttavia, quando stava per essermi data la possibilità to satisfy my needs, here it comes - the manga called DeathNote.

A friend made reference to it over a chat: I have had sporadic episodes of you-tube addiction in the past, in a period in which I felt lonely and out of place and I used to watch and watch little sketches and comedies at youtube (Monthy Python, the Italian Luciana Littizzetto in Chetempochefa, Paolino Ruffini from Livorno) until 1am to turn my brain off - but not much more. I hate computers.

To keep it short, I watched 14 episodes of this stuff in a row, for a total of 5 hours withoit drinking or moving from my chair. It was terrible. Note that each episode last more or less 20 min and I had to confirm my interest in the manga-cartoon every half-episode, by clicking on the relevant YouTube link. And it's not finished. Yesterday, Friday 20th, I still sat down albeit very sleepy and watched the following 9.10 episodes until 2:30 am. Auch! And what is terribly different from the other hypnotic sessions - is that I do not regret.

The morning after, I feel OK, and even willing to see more in the evening. This never happens to me, as on the contrary, when I let myself being turned away by these kind of distractions, afterwards I feel bad, guilty, ashamed, as I just had a momnent of madness, a
Geistige Umnachtung. But this time, not at all.

I therefore concluded that there must be something in the manga - or in this particular manga, which is the only one I have seen so far, winning a very negative bias about japanese cartoons - which let it achieve this results, something more than just me being prone to video addiction.

I tried to figure it out, even if it is difficult to force a reluctant mind into thinking, especially if the object of thought is something about which our mind is definitely not cool.Here my results.

This is what stands behind DeathNote:

  • symbols which are deeply deep-rooted in our brains. It is curious to see that many of them come from Christianity (the red apple, the to-be innocent victim which rinses the feet of the betrayer, ep. 25 more or less) and from Western literature (Misa seems Lolita, the idea of sacrifice for romantic love, eg the [Sirenetta], or Flying Dutch, or Romeo and Juliet).
  • reference to [Japanese] traditional conceptions, as that the written character stand in fact for their object, in such a way that the object is all caught in the characters (this is why is it possible, even of for a god only, to see the name of a person just looking in it face - or soul)
  • all this treated in a somehow childish format (the form of a cartoon), which recalls infancy, therefore takes an innocent attitude and disposes us to lower the guard and to let the symbolic messages penetrate deeper into the brain
  • a touch of exotism, for the European viewer, which makes it more like a fairy tale, combining with the childish format and reinforcing its effect
  • tragic features, I mean, love and death, the proof, the Greek ATH, dilemmas: ti drasw?

This entry is a stub(born). If you are an addict and you wish to add things you noticed about manga, please contact the author or leave a kind comment here below. THank you, Thinking Head!

Commenti

  1. I point out some other features:

    - the idea that "if you know the name of something, then you have power over it".
    This one is also quite diffused, maybe it steps from some Hebrew tradition, and has also a lot to do with all the medieval witcheries.. that idea is quite appealing too!

    - the presence of a "socially unadapted hero" by which I mean L, or N: they have some characterizing childish behavior (eating a lot of sweets/playing with toys also as adults), they wear not elegantly, and assume peculiar, strange, positions when talking. This kind of hero is some kind of "answer" to the "american film hero": by that I mean one that is perfect in all the things it does.

    -Related to the last point, I would say that if in american films the (caricaturized) message is "maybe you are useless and average, but there will come a super-man hero to teach you that you-just-have-to-be-yourself, and everything will be all right" while in the case of Death Note the message is : "perfection in just one thing is the aim, at the cost of being deprived of a social life. This distinguishes the main characters, while everyday-life figures are secondary"

    RispondiElimina

Posta un commento

Post popolari in questo blog

What Amelie stands for

Love. Full stop.

Berlusconianism and the Modern State